Welcome to the Certificate in Digitally-Enhanced Mathematics (MG-DEME) Program Page
About the Program|Advising|Program of Study
About the Program
The five course sequence for this technology-enhanced certificate program comprises a middle grades methods course, a course in content area reading, and three mathematics courses that incorporate the use of interactive, representational technology when teaching algebra, geometry, measurement, and data analysis. Together these courses are designed to provide teachers with the mathematical, pedagogical, and technological foundation required to prepare middle school students for high school mathematics. The curricular focus includes both teaching conceptually-based instructional sequences, as well as developing conceptually-based instructional strategies for use in the middle school mathematics classroom. As a result, each course in the certificate will contain a school-embedded technology project to provide documentation of student learning in each of the big ideas identified by Florida’s Next Generation Sunshine State Standards in mathematics.
Tuition assistance is available thanks to the generous support of Progress Energy.
Advisor: Dr. George Roy
(727) 873-4191 fax
Program of Study (Program Courses)
The 15-credit hour certificate consists of the following 5 courses, and should be completed during four consecutive semesters beginning in summer.*
- MAE 6356 (3 credit hours)--Teaching of Pre-Secondary School Mathematics
- RED 6544 (3 credit hours)--Cognition, Comprehension, and Content-Area Reading
- MAE 6327 (3 credit hours)--Teaching Technology-Enhanced Algebra in the Middle Grades
- MAE 6337 (3 credit hours)--Teaching Technology-Enhanced Geometry in the Middle Grades
- MAE 6824 (3 credit hours)-- Technology-Enhanced Numerical Analysis in the Middle Grades
*For any teacher interested in pursuing a master’s degree program beyond the certificate, 4 of the 5 courses from the certificate program are transferable to the master’s degree with approval of the program advisor.