Minors in Education (Professional Training Option)
About the Program
The Professional Training Option (PTO) in the College of Education is an approved alternative teacher certification program that leads to temporary certification. (A Temporary Teaching Certificate enables educators to complete the Professional Certificate requirements while teaching full time.) It It is designed for students interested in teaching at the secondary level in English, Social Science, or Science in the State of Florida. Qualified majors include: English, Journalism, History, Political Science, Biology, Psychology, and Environmental Science and Policy. NOTE: Candidates may be required to take additional coursework in their subject area to meet FLDOE requirements.
Fully Approved by the Florida Department of Education
To be eligible, students must meet the following three requirements:
1. Major in a qualified major: English, Journalism, History, Political Science, Biology, Psychology, or Environmental Science and Policy.
2. Earn 21 credits in one of these majors with 12 of the credits earned at USF St. Petersburg, and
3. Have and maintain an overall 2.5 GPA or higher throughout the course sequence of the PTO.
For additional information, please contact your Undergraduate Advisor.
Dr. Deanna Bullard Office: DAV 134
Phone: (727) 873-4511 email: email@example.com
Forms and Documents
Declaration of Minor form
- EDG 4909 Secondary Teaching Methods – online every spring
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management – online every fall and spring**
- EDG 4909 Practicum in Secondary Teaching – hybrid every fall and spring*/**
- EDG 4909 Foundations of Differentiated Reading – in class every summer*
- FLE 4317 Teaching Students with LEP Students (K-12) – in class every term
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers or EDG 4440 Measurement Concepts & Assessment of All Students – online every term
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in Regular Clssrm – online every term
* Before taking this class, you must pass The General Knowledge Test (GKT) as part of the Florida Teacher Certification Exams.
** Must be taken concurrently.